If on a guided trip: Our guides will provide all Rods, reels, and equipment if needed. If you prefer, you may bring your own.
Crooked Lake 30" Walleye
Here's What to Bring:
- Minnesota Fishing license* Minnesota DNR Online Fishing Licenses
- Tackle, rods and reels (suggestions below)
- Rain gear
- Sun screen
- Bug repellent
- Sunglasses (polarized)
- Waterproof boots, sandals or shoes that can get wet if portaging. (rubber boots provided if needed)
* Basswood lake and BWCA (Boundary Waters Canoe Area) trips need to pack smaller, lighter tackle boxes and gear for room in boat and weight.
** If in BWCA, plastic containers only. No glass bottles or aluminum cans, this is a Boundary Waters Canoe Area regulation.
The Tackle Box
White Iron Lake 28" Walleye
The list below is comprised of general items that have proven useful over the years. Many of the items do have suggested colors. These are only suggestions, "hot" colors change constantly so don't be afraid to experiment. You also will want to tailor this list towards the type of fishing you plan to do, and don't forget to throw in a couple of your own secret lures. We also highly recommend using live bait. Nightcrawlers and ribbon leeches are the easiest to use and keep alive. We do have a small tackle shop stocked with all the items listed below in all the "hot" colors.
Here's What to Bring in Your Tackle Box:
Most of these items are available in our lodge tackle shop or at one of the many tackle and bait stores in Ely.
Spinning Rod and Reel: Medium action 6ft to 7ft rod with new or fresh 6 to 10lb. test line, depending on your skill level and desired species of fish.
Hooks: Minimum of 25, bait type plain or colored with short shank in sizes #4, 6 or 8. (Gamakatsu brand)
Spinner Rigs: "Pre-rigged" hooks with spinner blades, beads and approximately 12 inches of line. Hook sizes from 6-4 with spinner blade colors in chartreuse, green, orange, silver, hammered brass, yellow, red/white and black/white.
Jigs: 1/16 to 1/4 ounce sizes.
- Jig Bodies: Berkley Power Bait in chartreuse, yellow white and black
- Rubber Bodied Jigs: With and without spinner blades in 1/8 to 3/8 ounce sizes. Chartreuse, white, yellow, black, and brown (examples: Mr. Twister and Fuzzee Grubs).
Live Bait Rigs (Lindy Rigs): 1/4 to 3/4 ounce slip sinkers (walking sinkers, egg sinkers, bell sinkers or Lindy brand No-Snag sinkers - any of these sinkers will work)
Floating Jigs:In orange, chartreuse and red.
Hair and Feather Type Jigs: 1/8 to 1/4 ounce sizes in yellow, orange, chartreuse, red and white. For Lake Trout a few 1/2 to 1 ounce jigs in black, white, yellow, red/white, and black/white.
Plugs/Top Water Stick Baits:: Both surface and diving. Sizes from 2 to 5 inches (Smallmouth Fishing)
- Rapalas, Husky Jerks, Tinny Torpedos, Poppers, Jitter Bugs, Hula Poppers, Tube Jigs or Grub Tails in colors pumpkin, purple, smoke or brown.
- Other plastics, such as, Chompers, Sinkos, Berkly Gulp Crawlers in colors brown, gray, smoke, pumpkin or purple.
Crank Baits: Rapalla shad raps, sizes #5 & #9 in colors perch, fire-tiger, yellow/white or silver/black.
- Rappala original floaters, size #11 & #13 in colors silver/black, gold/black, yellow/white, blue/white or perch.
Spinner Rigs: In chartreuse, green, yellow, orange, gold or silver.
- Custom made Weasel Walleye Wackers
- Mepps in sizes 1 and 2.
Sinkers, Split Shot, Slip Sinkers: Bring an assortment of split shot from "bb" size on up; slip sinkers should range from 1/8 to 1/2 ounce for deep trolling bring 1 to 3 ounce weights.
Barrel Swivels:: Two and three way type.
Bobbers: Slip bobbers work well and are the most functional.
Stringer: One or two cord stringers work well and are compact.
Needle Nose Pliers: For releasing fish.
|Suggestions for Specific Species|
|Smallmouth & Largemouth Bass||Surface and diving plugs (not exceeding 2 inches); Spinner baits such as Mepps; hair and feather type and rubber bodied jigs; slip bobbers|
|Walleye||Sinking plugs (not exceeding 2 inches); Spinners in mid sizes; Floating jig heads; Hair and feather type jigs; Slip bobbers|
|Northern Pike||Spoons, Spinner baits, and Surface and Diving plugs in mid to larger sizes; Steel leaders from 6-12 inches|
|Pan Fish||Spinner and assorted jigs in small to mid sizes; Slip Bobber|
|Lake Trout||Spring - Surface and diving plugs; Spinner baits such as Mepps
Summer - Hair and feather type jigs in 1/2 to 1 ounce sizes in black, yellow, white, red/white, and black/white; Spoons and deep running plug